Job descriptionTradestaff Global is seeking expressions of Interest from qualified & experienced FIRE ALARM INSTALLERS to work on McMurdo Station in Antarctica for next summer season starting in September 2024.
THE ROLE: The work is installing, fire alarms, smoke & heat sensors as well as commercial electrical work up to medium voltage. It will be a distinct advantage if you had experience with fabricating metal conduit, data cabling, Security systems. You should feel comfortable working from electrical schematics & you’ll need to be happy to pitch in & help other trades if required including basic labouring.
If you have had experience with any of the following, please outline this in your CV:
- UPS battery systems and/or backup generator systems
- Security system installation
- Switchgear & Transformer wiring
- Fire Alarms
- Due to travel requirements, you need to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
- Hold a current NZ Electrical Practicing Licence & be able to provide proof at interview.
- Have referees who can validate your experience.
- Supply a current up to date CV that outlines your skills/experience & types of projects/jobs worked on.
- Be IT literate & good with dealing with a lot of detailed paperwork.
- Be patient when working through the application process. It’s a very long & detailed process to mobilise people & in some cases it may take a few months to work through.
Exceptional fitness is required due to long hours & extreme conditions.
WHAT’S ON OFFER:
- Flights provided from any major NZ airport.
- Food, shared accommodation, travel insurance provided.
- $62.78 per hour. Contract basis, paid fortnightly in NZ$
- All PPE Supplied
- 54 hours per week (this won’t change if work is affected by weather)
- Working 6 out of 7 days
Start dates are subject to passing medicals, your notice period & ice flight availability. You will likely leave between Sep / Oct 2024 and return in approximately March or May 2025. You will be away the entire time.
The onboarding process is very lengthy due to medical requirements & background checks which will determine start dates.
The medicals are quite strict; you need to be in very good health/have excellent fitness. You will also be required to do a Dental exam & will need good dental health to get clearance.
If you like the sound of this amazing opportunity & would like to apply, please note:
CRITERIA TO MEET:
- NZ or US Citizenship & hold a CURRENT Passport.
- First interviews are by phone then either video or in person depending upon where you live. You must be prepared to travel to Tauranga for dental & medical tests. We pay for tests & provide flights if living outside of Tauranga.
- Full Class 1 Drivers Licence.
- Clean criminal record (Police checks will be completed at interview).
- Can pass pre-employment drug/alcohol testing as well as random testing on site.
- Able to follow instructions & have good attention to detail.
- Due to high volume of applications, we only accept applications via our online system to ensure everyone gets a response.
- An automatic email will be immediately sent to you if your application was submitted successfully. If you don’t receive the email, we didn’t receive your application.