Job descriptionTradestaff Global is seeking expressions of interest from qualified & experienced STRUCTUAL STEEL WELDERS to work on McMurdo Station in Antarctica for next summer season starting in September 2024.
THE ROLE: New build commercial construction involving assembly & welding of steel frame buildings. Previous experience with the erection of steel structures is required. You’ll need to be happy to pitch in & help other trades including labouring.
YOU NEED TO:
- Due to travel requirements, you need to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19.
- Be a qualified structural welder with a current 9606 ticket. If your ticket has expired, we will help with re-certifying at our expense. Please note in your Cover Letter / CV if your 9606 ticket is current or expired.
- Have extensive experience with the erection of steel structures.
- Provide proof of your qualifications (current or expired) at interview.
- Supply a current up to date CV that outlines your skills, experience & types of projects/jobs worked on.
- Be IT literate & good with dealing with a lot of detailed paperwork.
- Be patient when working through the application process. It is a very long & detailed process to mobilise people & in some cases it may take a few months to work through.
Exceptional fitness is required due to long hours & extreme conditions. Work is fast paced & everyone is expected to pitch in.
WHAT’S ON OFFER:
- Flights provided from any major NZ airport.
- Food, shared accommodation, travel insurance provided.
- $70 per hour. Contract basis, paid fortnightly in NZ$
- All PPE Supplied
- 54 hours per week (this won’t change if work is affected by weather)
- Working 6 out of 7 days
Start dates are subject to passing medicals, your notice period & ice flight availability. You will likely leave between Sep / Oct 2024 and return in approximately March or May 2025. You will be away the entire time.
The role will be starting as soon as possible, but as the onboarding process is very lengthy due to medical requirements & background checks that will determine start dates.
The medicals are quite strict, you would need to be in very good health/have excellent fitness. You would also be required to do Dental exams & would need good dental health to get clearance.
If you like the sound of this amazing opportunity & would like to apply, please note:
CRITERIA TO MEET:
- NZ or US Citizenship & hold a CURRENT Passport.
- First interviews are by phone then either video or in person depending upon where you live. You must be prepared to travel to Tauranga for dental & medical tests. We pay for tests & provide flights if living outside of Tauranga.
- Clean criminal record (Police checks will be completed at interview).
- Full Class 1 Drivers Licence.
- Can pass pre-employment drug/alcohol testing as well as random testing on site.
- Able to follow instructions & have good attention to detail.
- Due to high volume of applications, we only accept applications via our online system to ensure everyone gets a response. Please don’t call/email to apply.
- An automatic email will be immediately sent to you if your application was submitted successfully. If you don’t receive the email, we didn’t receive your application.